Take a trip back to 1736 with this delicious 18th century fried chicken recipe from James Townsend & Son. Ye olde chicken.
18th Century Fried Chicken Recipe | Homemade Recipes
Over the past 7 years, the James Townsend & Son YouTube channel has released hundreds of videos showcasing 18th century living, cooking and technology in the United States. Host Jonathan Townsend goes through tutorials ranging from how to throw tomahawks and knives to building a fully-functional mud oven. While all their tutorials are great (check them all out here), we're more interested in their 18th century cooking videos. In the past few days, one of their tutorials has gone viral—a fried chicken recipe from Nathan Bailey's 1736 cookbook titled “Dictionarium Domesticum.”
If you're interested in making some 18th century-style fried chicken, check out the video and complete tutorial below, filled with all the tools and ingredients you'll need.
What You Need:
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup verjus or malt vinegar (cider vinegar also works)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- white wine (cider or water also works)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- Add all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Throw the chicken into the marinade and let it sit for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Take the bowl out of the fridge and add the flour.
- While stirring, add the white wine until the batter is thin (like pancake batter)
- Add egg yolks and sat to the bowl and mix.
- Under an open flame, heat up either lard, clarified butter or oil (first two ingredients are more traditional).
- Grab your chicken out of the marinade and dip it into the batter until it's completely covered.
- Slowly place each piece of chicken into the pot with lard/butter/oil.
- Fry the chicken until it's crispy and brown on the outside.
- When the chicken is all done, cook the parsley for a few minutes in the lard/butter/oil until crispy.
- Crumble it over the fried chicken.
- Enjoy your 18th century fried chicken recipe!
- How To Make Fried Chicken | Spicy Fried Chicken
- Homemade Memories I Grandma’s Fried Chicken
- How To Make Chicken Nuggets | Homemade Recipes
- A Simple Balsamic Chicken Recipe | Homemade Recipes
- 21 Homemade Healthy Chicken Recipes
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies!
Sign up for our newsletter here!
Also, make sure to follow us on social media: