Activated charcoal face mask is good for your skin. It’s no secret that a lot of people love it! What’s not to love, right? Charcoal face masks offer detoxifying effects that will leave your skin feeling clearer and brighter.
Research shows that charcoal is used in most skincare products because of its ability to absorb impurities and dead skins. It also helps clear up clogged pores and make your skin smoother.
RELATED: 11 Face Mask Recipes You Can Eat
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask Recipe
How to Make Homemade Activated Charcoal?
- 3 tablespoons of distilled water or witch hazel, or a combination of both
- 3 tablespoons of bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon of activated charcoal powder
- 20 drops of essential oil of your choice (only optional)
1. Mix the Water and Your Chosen Essential Oil
When using the combination of water and witch hazel, mix it first before adding the essential oil.
While incorporating essential oils for this charcoal mask recipe is completely optional, it’s best if you still opt to put some. For example, infusing lemon oil in the mask mixture may help in reducing wrinkle appearances. Sandalwood, on the other hand, can help in moisturizing the skin.
2. Combine the Water and Oil Mixture With the Bentonite Clay and Charcoal Powder
Allow the bentonite clay to absorb before mixing them well together. During this step, use a wooden or plastic spatula in combining the ingredients. It’ll be easier to mash the remaining lump of the bentonite clay and to scrape off the sides of the bowl.
3. Combine All the Ingredients Well
The consistency of your charcoal mask might get sticky once you add the honey but that’s nothing to worry about. Continue mixing all the ingredients until it forms a paste.
You can then add the mixture into a tube for storage and for easier use.
How to Apply Activated Charcoal Mask?
To achieve the best results, make sure to cleanse your skin before applying this homemade mask. Once done, you can use your fingertips to apply the charcoal mask on your face. You can start along your T-zone then gently make your way to your cheeks.
If you don’t want your hands to get dirty, there are soft-bristled brushes that you can use. In applying the mask, be careful once you get near the mouth and eye area.
Keep the charcoal mask for about 15-2o minutes. During this time you might feel the mask tighten on your face (like a cement). Don’t be scared, it’s normal. One helpful tip, don’t laugh otherwise you’ll regret it.
Rinse the mask with warm water and apply your favorite moisturizer!
What Are the Benefits of Charcoal Mask?
- Prevents acne. Clogged pores and the accumulation of bacteria can often lead to breakouts. Activated charcoal masks can help in removing the bacteria in your pores.
- Absorbs excess oil. Having oily skin is usually caused by the overproduction of sebum. Thankfully, charcoal helps remove those oil toxins thus, making your skin smoother.
What Mask Safety Tips to Keep in Mind?
Yes, masks offer good results to your face. But like they said, ‘too much of everything hurts’. It’s advisable that you use this charcoal mask (or any type of face mask for that matter) for only once or twice a week. Anything more than that might dry up your skin or irritate it.
When using face masks be cautious about any type of allergic reaction. Even if the ingredients are all-natural, there’s still a possibility that your skin might be sensitive to some of the ingredients. If you feel any itching or burning sensation then stop using the charcoal face mask. If the redness or swelling persists even after you’ve stopped using it then consult your local dermatologist.
In the end, a charcoal mask is the way to go if you’re up for some natural skincare remedy. This recipe is easy and definitely worth trying.
Do you have a favorite detox mask recipe? Let us know in the comments section!
- 14 Muffin Recipes To Stuff Your Face With
- Easy DIY Bath Bombs Recipe *NOW with Tips & Tricks*
- Natural Homemade Dry Shampoo For Light And Dark Hair
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies! You can also WRITE FOR US and share your delectable recipes!