In the past few years, cast iron pizza has had a triumphant rise in popularity, thanks to its quickness, simplicity, and downright deliciousness. In less than 30 minutes, you can prepare and cook a 9 to 12-inch pizza packed with your favorite toppings: pepperoni, green peppers, mozzarella, mushrooms, and anything else your hearts desire. Not all kitchens have the same fancy equipment most pizzerias have, but you can make the same quality of pizza at home with a cast iron pan. They retain heat better, which makes them ideal for pizza since heat is a key component in making good pizza. Stop wasting your time with delivery or that frozen stuff and make yourself a cast iron pizza you won’t forget.
Make a Cast Iron Pizza in Under 30 Minutes
- 1 lb. package store-bought whole wheat dough
- 2-3 oz. marinara sauce
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 25 pepperoni slices
- 2-3 pieces of pepperoncini or banana peppers, sliced
- Preheat your oven to the hottest temperature it goes. At the same time, set a 9 to 12-inch cast-iron pan over medium/high heat on your stove.
- Stretch the dough out and sprinkle the pan with a little bit of cornmeal and flour so the dough doesn’t stick. Add the dough to the skillet, distributing it evenly across the pan. Brush olive oil to the top of the dough and let it cook.
- Once the dough begins to bubble, spread the marinara sauce all over the top of the dough (minus the outer crust). On top of the sauce, add the few cups of mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, and spicy pepper slices.
- Place the cast-iron pan in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden. Rem0ve the pizza from the oven, let it sit for a few minutes then top with fresh cheese. Enjoy
Note: Feel free to substitute the type of dough, sauce, and toppings according to your preferences.
Learn how to make a cast iron pizza using store-bought dough in this video from Cooking With Cast Iron:
Now that you know how to make cast iron pizza, you can forget about pizza delivery forever. In under thirty minutes, you can have delicious pizza that you can fully customize according to your dietary needs and preferences. You could go crazy and add tons of toppings, or just go for a simple 3-ingredient pizza. You can also make it healthier or go the opposite route and make it more indulgent for cheat day. Whatever you decide upon, we hope you enjoy making this easy pizza recipe and have an even better time eating it!
What kind of toppings do you usually like on your pizza? Let us know in the comments section below!
Sign up for our newsletter here!
Also, make sure to follow us on social media:
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on August 31, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.