Salmon is a great meal option if you want something healthy and delicious for the entire family. It is packed with numerous health benefits and can be prepared several different ways. If you want to learn how to cook salmon, let this post guide you!
How Long To Cook Salmon
Salmon is one of the most nutritious types of fish to add to your diet. It works as an antioxidant, which means that it destroys free radicals — harmful chemicals that are produced by your body in response to aging, pollution and other environmental contaminants. Salmon has kind of a medium fishy flavor but you’ll sure to like it especially its mild tasting flavor. Its tastes all depend on how it is being prepared.
Some of the many health benefits of salmon:
- Cardiovascular Benefits
- Improved Mood and Cognition
- Joint Protection
- Eye Benefits
- Decreased Cancer Risk
1. Oven-Baked Salmon
When considering how long do you bake salmon, it is important to make sure you don’t over bake the fish. Typically, recipes for baking salmon call for an oven temperature of 350 to 450 degrees. The salmon should always be put into a pre-heated oven. At 350 degrees the salmon will bake about ten minutes per one inch thickness of your fillet. A two-inch thick fillet will bake for 20 minutes. A 1-1/2 filet will take 15 minutes and so on. Check the salmon frequently. Start checking at about 10 minutes, and keep checking until the flesh of the fish is just barely an opaque pink.
- 12 ounce salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- Coarse-grained salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted Almond Parsley Salsa, for serving
- Baked squash, for serving, optional
Toasted Almond Parsley Salad:
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Coarse grain salt
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet or in a non-stick pan with an oven-proof handle. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with the Toasted Almond Parsley Salad and squash, if desired.
- Mince the shallot and add to a small bowl. Pour the vinegar over the shallots and add a pinch of salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop the capers, parsley and almonds and add to the shallots. Add the olive oil, tasting as you go. Mix again and adjust the seasonings.
2. Steamed Salmon
There’s no doubt about salmon being healthy and nutritious. One of the best ways to retain all of those good nutrients and keep the salmon moist and full of flavor is to steam it in a basket. Steaming your foods like veggies and meat make them cook quickly and gently. It’s a great cooking technique for delicate seafood like salmon. An average thick filet of salmon takes about 5-6 minutes to steam.
- 1 salmon filet (12 ounces), preferably wild, skinned and bloodline removed if desired
- A few sprinkles sea salt, pepper and granulated garlic (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 cup white wine (optional, add 1 cup water if not using)
- A small handful fresh thyme sprigs (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 lemon, quartered and squeezed into water and rinds added
- A few pinches of salt and pepper
- Cut salmon filet into two equal pieces. If one has a flatter, thinner end, fold it under first to create an even piece, then cut in half to achieve equal portions. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic if using.
- Add water, bay leaf, garlic, wine (if using), thyme, lemon and salt and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil with lid on, then turn down to a low simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes to create a flavorful steaming broth. Note – the broth should come just to the bottom of your steamer. Quantity might need to be adjusted depending on the legs of your steamer.
- Spritz steam rack with non-stick, add to pot, add salmon, and steam with lid on for 5-6 minutes or until salmon reached 145º internally when measured with a digital thermometer. Serve want or chilled with sauce of choice.
3. Grilled Salmon
When grilling salmon, the key is to get the timing right so the fish is perfectly tender every time. To grill salmon on a charcoal grill, place the fish on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill, uncovered, for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork. Turn the fish once halfway through grilling. One way to check doneness is with an instant-read thermometer. Insert it horizontally into the fish. This is especially useful for thick salmon steaks. Remove the fish from the grill when it reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
- 6 (6-oz) pieces center-cut salmon fillet (about 1 inch thick) with skin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lime zest
- 6 tablespoons lime butter sauce
- Prepare grill for cooking over medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas).
- Season salmon all over with salt and pepper, then grill, flesh sides down, on lightly oiled grill rack (covered only if using gas grill) 4 minutes.
- Turn fillets over and grill (covered only if using gas grill) until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Sprinkle fillets with zest and top each with 1 tablespoon lime butter sauce.
4. Deep-Fried Salmon
For this method to work you first need a deep fryer. Then add canola oil or any frying oil you prefer and heat it to 400˚ F. For 4 (5-ounce) center-cut salmon fillets (about 1-inch-thick) it takes 7 minutes for the salmon to cook through. If you have thicker or bigger cut than this, usually it takes 8-10 minutes until it feels firm to the touch and the skin is crisp if desired.
- 4 eggs, wash for dipping
- 2 tablespoons season salt or 2 tablespoons lemon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 6 lbs salmon
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- First fillet salmon, and then skin salmon very carefully, with a sharp fillet knife, trim salmon, with no bones attached.
- When fillet is done, slice salmon into thin strip width lenght not tail to head length.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix all eggs into a bowl, scramble
- Take strips of salmon, dip into the flour mixture first then into the egg wash and then back into the flour mixture.
- Then carefully use a home deep fryer and cook until golden brown color, serve with homemade fries and lemons.
- Various dry herbs can be used to your liking, this is just a beginning of what you can use for the flour mixtures.
Have something special for dinner tonight. It takes just several minutes to cook a delicious, light and healthy meal from salmon and there’s no way you can never do this. It is super simple and easy but truly one classy dish. We hope you enjoy this as much as we did. Happy cooking!
- 24 Amazing First Date Dinner Recipes
- How to Make Sushi Rolls
- How To Cook Lobster (with Recipes)
- How To Be A Master Chef In 10 Days – Chopping & More
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies!
Sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Do you have Instagram? Don’t forget to follow @HomemadeRecipesOfficial.
Click here to Like Us on Facebook.
Click here to Follow Homemade Recipes on Pinterest
Leave a Reply