This homemade baking soda toothpaste recipe is easy, safe, and more importantly environmentally-friendly! If you’re planning to live a zero-waste lifestyle then drop your store bought toothpaste in exchange for this homemade baking soda toothpaste recipe.
RELATED: DIY Homemade Mouthwash Recipe
DIY Baking Soda Toothpaste
If you want to follow along with a video, watch this zero waste toothpaste from Trash is for Tossers:
Here are the things you’ll be needing:
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- small container (glass)
- 1 tablespoon of xylitol powder (optional only)
- 20 drops of cinnamon powder, clove oil or ginger (optional)
- 20 to 25 drops of your preferred essential oil (optional)
Step 1: Liquefy the coconut oil
Put the coconut oil in a container with hot water. This process would take 15 to 20 minutes depending on the room temperature.
Step 2: Mix all the ingredients
Place all the remaining ingredients together with the coconut oil. Stir them together until completely blended.
Note: Baking soda is a good mild abrasive for the teeth. It will easily brush away the plaque and avoid tooth decay.
Step 3: Storing the baking soda toothpaste
When done, it’s highly suggested to put the finished product in a lidded glass container.
See? In less than an hour you’ve made your own baking soda toothpaste. Trust me! This toothpaste recipe will make your mouth fresher.
View this post on Instagram
- You can add more baking soda to make the paste firmer. During winter, you can opt to add less soda so it’ll be easier to dispense from the container.
- Flavored essential oils do not really affect the taste of toothpaste. However, they provide a refreshing aftertaste.
- Add stevia as a sweetener to have that hind of sweetness.
- Tea tree oil, peppermint oils, and lemongrass oil are just some of the essential oils you can add to make an anti-bacterial toothpaste.
Why Make the Switch to Baking Soda Toothpaste?
1. Because of the chemicals
Commercial toothpaste has ingredients that are known to cause cancer and other ailments. It contains artificial flavorings, glycerin, triclosan, fluoride, and sodium hydroxide. These all have dangerous effects in the long run.
For example, triclosan is a chemical added to products to reduce contamination. However, studies show that this chemical is carcinogenic and has negative effects on the endocrine system.
2. Saving the environment
Making your own baking soda toothpaste would greatly help the environment. Every year tons of toothpaste packaging are thrown to the landfills. The tube is almost impossible to recycle and will just probably end up in a dumping ground.
One of the benefits of making your own baking soda toothpaste is that you can store them in an empty jar or bottle. All you have to do is wash the container and reuse it.
On average, a storebought toothpaste would cost around $3 depending on the size and brand that you’re buying. Now imagine using toothpaste for a fraction of that price! A good deal, right?
I know that there are lots of natural and organic toothpaste available but they can be pricey! Homemade baking soda toothpaste is the perfect cheap alternative for that. If you don’t want to put all those scary stuff in your mouth then you should try making this.
Have you tried using homemade baking soda toothpaste? If you have, share your experience in the comments section!
- Natural Homemade Dry Shampoo For Light and Dark Hair
- Easy DIY Bath Bombs Recipe *NOW with Tips & Tricks*
- 11 Face Mask Recipes You Can Eat
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies! You can also WRITE FOR US and share your delectable recipes!