We’ll show you how to bake your own pumpernickel bread. A bread originated from Germany and for some reason, its origins in German translate to “devil’s fart”.
Let’s Make Homemade Pumpernickel Bread
- 200 grams white bread flour
- 120 grams whole wheat flour
- 100 grams rye flour
- 3 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 9 ounces warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
Reminders: Preheat your oven to 425°F after the dough rises.
- PURE WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR: We use our amazing wheat berries and our stone mill to make amazing, fresh, white whole wheat...
- SINGLE INGREDIENT FLOUR: Our flour is 100% whole wheat, no preservatives. It is unbleached, unbromated, and non-irradiated...
- PREMIUM FLAVOR & TEXTURE: Our white whole wheat bread flour has a mild, sweet flavor with a beautiful golden color perfect...
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the bread flour, whole wheat flour, and rye flour. Make sure to sift your flours before adding to the mixing bowl.
- Next, add the warm water, vegetable oil, and molasses.
- Using a wooden spoon or a whisk, start to incorporate the wet and dry ingredients together until it forms a loose dough. Once you see it starting to come together, use your hands to form the dough and incorporate any stuck ingredients on the bowl. This should form a dense and sticky mixture.
- After you’ve finished kneading the dough, transfer it to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise in a warm place for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- After the dough has risen enough, go ahead and knock out the air. Take the dough out of the bowl and begin to fold the dough in on itself in the shape of a sausage-like shaped loaf.
- Once you’ve achieved the loaf shape with your dough, transfer your dough into a 2-pound loaf pan. Place your pan in a warm area and allow to proof again for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Bake for 30 minutes and cool it after. Serve and enjoy.
Don’t forget to download, save, or share this handy recipe card for reference:
Traditionally, pumpernickel bread is made with ground rye, a sourdough starter, and proofed for 8 hours before being baked for more than 20 hours. Thankfully, this recipe is a lot easier and less time consuming to make at home.
What are some of your favorite bread recipes to make? Try the recipe above? Tell us in the comment section below!
- 15 Sensational Bread Bowl Recipes To Enjoy This Winter
- Learn to Make this Delectable Rye Bread
- Jalapeño Corn Chowder Salad | Homemade Recipes
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies! You can also WRITE FOR US and share your delectable recipes!