Nothing comes close to these homemade Krispy Kreme donuts. One bite and you’ll wonder why you never made them before.
Homemade Krispy Kreme Donuts Recipe
Krispy Kreme has churned out some of America’s favorite donuts for over 70 years, with shops everywhere from Los Angeles, California to Bogotá, Columbia. While you’re bound to be located near AT LEAST ONE Krispy Kreme shop, that doesn’t necessarily mean you need to get out of the house to enjoy a perfectly balanced glazed donut. Wonderfully chewy and glazed Krispy Kreme donuts with just the right amount of icing, these doughnuts are to die for.
- 3 packages yeast (3/4 oz in total)
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 1/4 c. milk
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 7 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- canola oil
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 6 to 9 tbsp. evaporated milk
- Start by adding the yeast to 1/2 a cup of warm water. Mix it well and let it rest. Now scald the milk in the microwave (or on your stove) and let it cool. Combine the yeast and milk, along with the sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 3 cups of flour. Beat the entire thing on low for 30 seconds, all while scraping the bowl. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Carefully add in the remaining cups of flour until the mixture is smooth. Cover it and let it rise for 30 to 60 minutes or until it’s double in size.
- After the dough has risen, place it on to a surface with flour and roll it around to lightly coat it. Grab a rolling pin and roll the dough 1/2 an inch thick.
- Get your doughnut cutter and cut out your donuts. Once you’re finished, cover them and let them rise until they’re all double in size, which can take anywhere between 30 to 40 minutes.
- Melt the butter and stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Now add milk and whisk until you have a desired consistency.
- Heat your oil to 350F in a deep pan and carefully place the donuts inside. Cook each side for about a minute.
- Once they’re finished, place the donuts on a rack or on paper towels to let them drain.
- Dip each donut in the glaze and set them on a rack to dry off.
- Enjoy all of the delicious goodness that are homemade Krispy Kreme donuts.
What do you think of these Krispy Kreme donuts? Share your experience with us in the comment section below.
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies!
Sign up for our newsletter here!
Make sure to follow us on social media too: