Need a rich and comforting stew in your life? Then you need this flavorful Guinness beef stew with cheddar herb dumplings.
Guinness Beef Stew With Cheddar Herb Dumplings
Guinness beef stew is an Irish staple. Perfect on cold days, the stew features beef chunk, smoked bacon, onion, celery, carrots and more, all cooked and marinated in Guinness extra stout and Worcestershire sauce for a couple of hours. Once it's done, you'll be able to enjoy meat that you can cut through with a spoon, along with a warm broth that can cure even the worst cold.
Need something comforting? Look no farther than this Guinness beef stew.
- 2 lbs. stew meat/beef chunk
- ¼ lb. applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 4 oz. tomato paste
- 12 oz. Guinness extra stout
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- chopped parsley
- ½ lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1-2 tbsp. mixed fresh herbs, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium heat. Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside, but leave the grease in there.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and cook it in the pan until it's browned. Set the beef aside.
- Cook the onion, celery and carrots in the same pan until soft. Add a bit of oil if needed.
- Throw in some garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Now add the tomato pasta and stir.
- Pour the Guinness and Worcestershire into the pan and let it come to a simmer. Stir the entire time.
- Place the beef back into the pot and add the beef stock, bay leaf and thyme.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- After the 1 1/2 is up add the carrot, parsnips, and turnips and let it cook for another half an hour, covered. Make sure to also remove the bay leaf and thyme. If the entire stew is too thick, add more beef stock.
- Toss in the mushrooms and cook for 10 mins, uncovered.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and garlic powder. Add the shortening until the mixture looks like crumbs, then stir in the cheddar cheese and milk.
- Turn the dough into small balls and throw them into the stew. Cover the pan and cook on medium/low heat for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve!
- 10 Day Chef | How To Make A Mouthwatering Beef Stew
- Experience The Magic Of These 14 Soul Food Recipes
- 11 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes To Feel Good About
- 23 Incredible Campfire Recipes | Homemade Recipes
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies!
Sign up for our newsletter here!
Also, make sure to follow us on social media:
Just the ingredients alone would take up enough space in my backpack so that I wouldn’t have enough room for my cooking gear or an extra pair of socks! If I were camping in my back yard this recipe would be great, but hiking the Golden Trout Wilderness for a week? No thanks.