Make these amazing Puerto Rican desserts your gateway into Latin American culture and cuisine! Go through this post and try making one of the featured sweet treats.
Puerto Rican Desserts You Must Try Making
Puerto Rican cooking is a unique blend of different cultures—Spanish, African, Taino, and American. While the main courses are great, today we’re going to focus on Puerto Rican desserts. If you’ve never tasted any before, you’re in for quite a treat. Check out these easy dessert recipes from Puerto Rico!
1. Puerto Rican Tembleque (Coconut Pudding)
Rich, creamy, with a jelly-like texture, the Puerto Rican Tembleque is a simple but exquisite dessert. You don’t need a lot of ingredients to make it and its recipe is not overly complicated, either. If you haven’t made a Puerto Rican dessert yet, make the tembleque your stepping stone.
2. Puerto Rican Flan de Queso (Cheese Flan)
Puerto Rico’s take on flan is also very delicious—and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t. It’s like the perfect union between a caramel custard and a cheesecake. Try making a Puerto Rican Flan de Queso and you would know what we’re talking about.
3. Quesitos de Guayaba (Sweetened Cream Cheese and Guava Pastries)
Quesitos de Guayaba is a puff pastry filled with guava (guava paste, puree, or jelly) and a dollop of cream cheese. The recipe is quite easy to follow, especially if you’re using store-bought puff pastry.
4. Puerto Rican Arroz con Leche (Rice Pudding)
Arroz con leche basically means rice pudding. There are different ways to tweak this creamy, hearty dessert. You can leave out the raisins, for example, and add your preferred dried fruit instead.
- Our signature Low Calorie/Fat Free Merengues packed in a plastic Tub.
- 45 bite size meringues per tub, excellent to share amongst friends, family or co-workers!
- Sweet... fluffy meringues, the perfect companion to a rich, bold cup of coffee or a nice cup of tea!
5. Puerto Rican Pineapple Rum Cake
Serve this delicious Puerto Rican pineapple rum cake with vanilla ice cream and you’ve got the best summer treat ever!
6. Mallorca Bread
These soft Puerto Rican sweet bread rolls are easy to put together. In just about 25 minutes, you can have a simple dessert to go with your tea or coffee!
- Ingredients Water, Cornstarch, Corn Syrup Solids, Cellulose, Sorbotol, Glycerine, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Arabic Gum,...
- Great for your children's birthdays
- As easy to use as applying a sticker - will ship will full instructions, do not refrigerate prior to use
7. Platanos Maduros (Sweet Fried Plantains)
This very easy recipe requires only two ingredients: plantains and vegetable oil! A satisfying Puerto Rican dessert need not be complicated!
- Spanish drinking chocolate: chocolate rasps from Barcelona, at least 45 % cocoa, a touch of cinnamon. Buy now & enjoy!
8. Coquito (Puerto Rican Coconut Eggnog)
The coquito is like the Puerto Rican version of eggnog. This frothy dessert drink is just what you need on cold, rainy seasons and holidays.
9. Budin de Pan (Puerto Rican Bread Pudding)
The Budín, basically bread pudding, is a fairly popular bread dessert in Latin America. If you have leftover white bread at home, you can turn it into Budín de Pan, Puerto Rican style.
This Puerto Rican style polvorones will melt in your mouth. They taste so good you won’t believe they’re just cookies.
Learn how to make Coquito in this video by DJs BrewTube:
Finish off your Puerto Rican desserts with a cup of strong, black Puerto Rican coffee. But if you want a touch of alcohol after your dessert, you might also want to try the Puerto Rican rum or beer.
What do you think of these Puerto Rican desserts? Which recipe are you planning to try? Share your experience with us in the comment section below!
Now you’ve got a taste of Puerto Rico, try these 12 Healthy Indian Recipes You Can Make At Home!
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies!
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.