Air fryer sweet potato chips make regular chips healthier because of the cooking process. With an air fryer, you don’t need to deep fry your chips with all that oil that makes them high in calories and fat. Find out how to make some here!
Easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Recipe for a Delicious Vegetable Snack
What You Will Need:
- 2 big pieces of sweet potatoes (better if organic!)
- 1 teaspoon of chives
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Flavorless oil or any cooking oil
Steps on Making Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Peel your sweet potatoes and microwave them for about sixty seconds.
- Using a mandolin slicer, slice your sweet potatoes into thin uniformed pieces. Usually at about one-eighth inches thick.
- Get a bowl and fill it halfway with cold water. Place all your sweet potato slices in the bowl, and let them soak for about thirty minutes.
- After soaking in water, dry them completely. Drain the water from the bowl and place your sweet potato slices on a towel. Then press them out with another towel to drain any excess water.
- Once dried, place them in a clean and dry bowl. Then spritz with or pour your oil.
- Mix your sweet potato slices well to ensure you are coating all of them nicely and evenly with your oil.
- Get your chives, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and salt, and place them all in a small bowl.
- Mix your spices together before sprinkling them over your oiled sweet potatoes.
- Place your sweet potato chips in the basket of your air fryer. Cook for about 7-8 minutes at 400°F. After the timer stops, check your first batch of potato chips. See if they’ve already cooked and crisped up. If they need more cooking time, you may air fry them for an additional 7-8 minutes, depending on your air fryer.
- Once crispy, remove from the basket and cool them completely.
You’ll know when your air fryer sweet potato chips are ready when they’re crispy at the edges.
Tips on Making Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- The microwaving process is optional, but it makes your sweet potatoes softer. Thus, easier to slice.
- When peeling, make sure you’re keeping your hands safe and not holding too close to the peeler.
- When slicing, make them as uniform as possible. The uneven thickness will make each chip cook at a different time.
- Slicing your air fryer sweet potato chips thinner will yield more crispy chips. And slicing them thicker will yield a chewier batch.
- Soaking the chips in water helps in removing the excess starch from your sweet potatoes. As you know, sweet potatoes contain a huge amount of starch. That actually hinders the crisping process.
- You can add the spices one by one. But we found that mixing them all together helps evenly distribute the flavor.
- Don’t place your chips in an airtight container while they’re hot. This will cause them to get soggy. Air them out to retain their crispiness.
We hope you enjoyed our featured recipe. Make your own by following the steps above and enjoy your healthy snack!
What do you think about this air fryer sweet potato chips recipe? Tell us in the comment section below!
- 15 Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Recipes
- 12 Healthy Chips Recipes To Try At Home
- 13 Easy And Out Of This World Star Wars Recipes For May The 4th Be With You
Don’t forget to keep in touch, foodies! You can also WRITE FOR US and share your delectable recipes!
Editor’s Note – This post was originally published on June 23, 2020, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.